UK Delivery from 95p - Europe from £2.75 - Rest of World from £3.75

Why is Chocolate bad for Pets?

July 07, 2018

Why is Chocolate bad for Pets?

We've all had that dreaded fear of dropping food and your dog rushing towards it like there's no tomorrow. One thing we must be vigilant about is chocolate. But why is this delicious treat for humans so deadly for dogs? 

"Less than an ounce of dark chocolate may be enough to poison a 44-pound dog."
www.hillspet.com

What causes Chocolate to be Harmful to Pets? 

How much chocolate is too much chocolate for dogs? The answer is any amount is too much! Chocolate, delicious as it is, contains the natural chemical theobromine (found in cacao beans) which is poisonous to animals and pets like dogs as their metabolism cannot break it down like humans can. The darker the chocolate the higher the concentration of theobromine, so the worse it is for our pets to consume. 

Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning:

Chocolate poisoning causes similar symptoms to food poisoning; if your pet has consumed any amount of chocolate be prepared for vomiting and diarrhoea but also fitting, tremors, twitching and life threatening heart issues such as an irregular heart beat or a heart attack.  A larger dog will seem less effected by a small amount of chocolate than a smaller dog, however they will still suffer from an upset stomach internally. 

If a pet has eaten through chocolate wrappers this can cause further problems to the pet such as obstructions which again can lead to vomiting but also your pet being lethargic, put off food or unable to go to the relief themselves. 

If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate then you need to contact your vet immediately and follow their instructions. Take note of what chocolate your pet has eaten - keep the wrapper if possible - and have a rough estimate of when your pet consumed the chocolate.

How to Prevent my Pet Eating Chocolate: 

It is always best to put human food out of the way of pets - out of sight out of mind is the best motto. Keep sweets and chocolate in a sealable container and pick up dropped food the second it escapes your hand. Take extra care during holiday seasons when chocolate is given as gifts such as Easter and Christmas 

 

Sources: 
www.thekennelclub.org.uk
www.hillspet.com/dog-care
www.vets-now.com





Also in Hoobynoo Blog

Top 10 Hypoallergenic Dog Breeds
Top 10 Hypoallergenic Dog Breeds

March 18, 2019

 Love Dogs but allergic to dog hairs?
Or maybe you have a family member who is allergic and therefore cannot have a family dog? 


Have you considered getting a Hypoallergenic breed of dog instead! 
These breeds are considered allergy free and their coats never shed

Continue Reading

Poison For Pets: The Most Dangerous Things To Watch Out For
Poison For Pets: The Most Dangerous Things To Watch Out For

March 11, 2019

Speaking from personal experience, realising your pet has eaten something poisonous is one of the most terrifying things that can happen to any pet owner...and it can have disastrous consequences: we were very lucky.

Continue Reading

Choosing A Pet Sitter
Choosing A Pet Sitter

March 08, 2019

For many pet owners, their treasured best friends are as important to them as children are to their parents. To that end, it's very important to be vigilant and well informed when choosing someone to look after your dog or cat and to make sure that the person you choose is enthusiastic and up to the task.

Continue Reading